In this article, we will show you the detailed and updated accountant job description. Here you will also find the duties of an accountant, responsibilities, qualifications, skills, and estimated annual salary.
This job description template provides critical duties and responsibilities for an accountant. It’s ready to post on various job sites to assist you to recruit and hire talented accountant who will help businesses make critical financial decisions by collecting, tracking, and correcting the company’s finances. As a job seeker, you can use this information to make a very rich resume and as well get yourself prepared for an interview.
Accountant Job Description
Accountants help businesses make important financial decisions by collecting, keeping track of, and fixing the business’s money. They are in charge of doing financial audits, matching bank statements, and making sure financial records are correct all year long.
An accountant or accountant professional is in charge of keeping track of and reporting on an organization’s financial information. Their jobs include making financial statements, looking at and analyzing a company’s finances, and making sure that financial reporting and other standard accounting procedures are followed.
Accountant responsibilities include auditing financial documents and procedures, reconciling bank statements and calculating tax payments and returns. To be successful in this role, you should have previous experience with bookkeeping and a flair for spotting numerical mistakes.
Ultimately, an accountant provide a company with accurate quantitative information on financial position, liquidity and cash flows of the business, while ensuring the company is complaints with all tax regulations.
Duties of an Accountant
- Tracking payments to internal and external stakeholders
- Preparing budget forecasts
- Processing tax payments and returns
- Reconciling the company’s bank statements and bookkeeping ledgers
- Completing analysis of the employee expenditures
- Managing income and expenditure accounts
- Generating the company’s financial reports using income and expenditure data
Responsibilities of an Accountant
- Keeping a check on the company’s finances based on financial status
- Filing and remitting taxes and other financial obligations
- Initiating and managing financial and accounting software used by the company
- Manage all accounting transactions
- Prepare budget forecasts
- Publish financial statements in time
- Handle monthly, quarterly and annual closings
- Reconcile accounts payable and receivable
- Ensure timely bank payments
- Compute taxes and prepare tax returns
- Manage balance sheets and profit/loss statements
- Report on the company’s financial health and liquidity
- Audit financial transactions and documents
- Reinforce financial data confidentiality and conduct database backups when necessary
- Comply with financial policies and regulation
- Assist in the preparation of financial reports such as financial statements and budget performance
- Ensure compliance with applicable standards (i.e. GAAP, FASB), rules, regulations, and systems of internal control
- Aid in the implementation of new accounting policies, standards, and guidelines
- Provide accurate, timely, and relevant recording, reporting, and analysis of financial information
- Identify areas for improvement and implement improvements to processes
- Assist with and act as the primary point-of-contact for auditor requests
- Handle sensitive information in a confidential manner
Qualifications of an Accountant
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance, or a related field, or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience
- 2-5 years of accounting/finance experience
- Demonstrate intermediate to advanced skills and knowledge of Excel, as well as other Microsoft Office applications
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Experience with accounting software
- Excellent interpersonal skills to communicate effectively across the organization
- Thorough knowledge of general ledger accounting and account reconciliation
- Highly detail-oriented
- Additional certification (CPA or CMA) is a plus
Skills of an Accountant
- Experience with accounting software and data entry
- Excellent understanding of accounting rules and procedures including the Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP)
- Advanced knowledge and experience of spreadsheets
- Ability to work independently
- Analytical skills
- Ethical behavior.
- Attention to detail.
- Work experience as an Accountant
- Excellent knowledge of accounting regulations and procedures, including the Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP)
- Hands-on experience with accounting software like FreshBooks and QuickBooks
- Advanced MS Excel skills including VLOOKUP’s and pivot tables
- Experience with general ledger functions
- Strong attention to detail and good analytical skills
- More education or experience may be preferred.
- Special licenses or certification may be required.
- Strong analytical, communication, and computer skills.
- Understanding of mathematics and accounting and financial processes.
Salary of an Accountant
An accountant makes an average of $57,290 per year plus other benefits. The salary may depend on experience, education or location.
A good accountant is more than just stating financial statements . A good accountant must have knowledge of the experience with accounting software and data entry.
He / She ensures that the assist in the preparation of financial reports such as financial statements and budget performance.
Another important responsibility is to manage the reinforce financial data confidentiality and conduct database backups when necessary.
Finally, the duties of an accountant is to provide excellent and strong attention to detail and good analytical skills.
Sign up for job alerts
Be the first to know about new jobs by signing up for email alerts below.