In this post, you will see detailed information about Camp Counselor Job Description as well as roles, responsibilities, and qualifications. This information is very useful to both the recruiters and the employers.
Camp Counselor Job Description
Camp Counselor definition – Camp Counselor provides direct supervision of a group of children in a seasonal day camp. The Counselor creates positive, nurturing relationships with children, while building cooperative relationships with parents/caregivers. camp counselor description promotes and supports the potential of all youth in programs and facilitates peer-to-peer connections as part of the overall summer camp experience.
Camp Counselor leads children through a variety of activities including rock climbing, swimming, weekly field trips, arts & crafts, gym games and more. They incorporate nutrition education with weekly-themed camps providing a high level of safety and fun for children from ages three to twelve years.
Responsibilities of a Camp Counselor
- Familiar with methods of dealing with problem behaviors of children in your care.
- Being able to lift up to 50 lbs.
- Must be courteous and exercise tact and diplomacy when dealing with the Members.
- Show professionalism, independence and willingness to learn on the job.
- Must keep children safe and under constant supervision.
- Must keep children hydrated and sun-screened when outdoors.
- Must be able to communicate with parents and inform them of any important information about their children.
- Must accompany and supervise children while in lessons (golf, tennis, etc.).
- Create a physically and psychologically safe environment for villagers and other staff.
- Participate in all aspects of Village life, including meals, song times, evening programs, cultural presentations and staff meetings. Lead or assist as directed.
- Teach small language classes and/or activity classes.
- Live in a cabin with children (“villagers”), as part of a counseling team, to provide supervision. Lead games, Cabin Council and other activities to create a cabin community.
- Serve as a positive role model for desired behaviors among villagers, including use of Village language.
- Complete other tasks as assigned by the dean and leadership staff.
- Provide constant supervision of and be a positive role model for camp participants
- Maintain accurate attendance records showing the movement of assigned participants throughout the day.
- Monitor and advise participants to follow camp rules in order to ensure their safety.
- Monitor the activity areas for potential safety hazards and make any correction to provide a safe camp experience.
- Provide leadership participation with assigned activities.
- Report any concerns related to participant discipline to Camp Director.
- Maintain appearance and demeanor that communicated confidence, confidentiality, and professionalism.
Job Duties of a Camp Counselor
- Lead a group of approximately 15 children safely in a variety of camp activities.
- Serve as the Group Leader to the campers, showing enthusiasm in deed and spirit.
- Plan, lead and participate in a variety of camp activities such as games, songs, sports, skits and special events.
- Follow lesson plans provided by the Camp Coordinator/Camp Director/School Principal.
- Supervise children during swim activities; this includes swimming with them, keeping children safe and engaged in the swim/pool activities.
- Responsible for the safety and well being of each child in his/her group.
- Supervise the campers carefully to ensure the safety of the children and property.
- Maintain a physical environment (indoors and outdoors) which is safe, attractive, and clean.
- Actively engage and interact with the children during lunch time periods.
- Develop opportunities for positive interaction between campers and staff.
Camp Counselor Skills & Experience
Must be highly motivated and take direction well with excellent interpersonal and communication skills. Knowledge of child care programming; recreation and its application; safety and emergency first-aid procedures; program management; customer service principles; and budget management. The ability to successfully: establish and maintain safe environments for children; perform first aid and/or CPR in an emergency situation; work evenings and weekends; work productively without supervision within established organizational policies and procedures; provide superior customer service and resolve customer complaints and escalated problems; and effectively manage employees and budgets. Skilled in: lifesaving procedures and instruction; recruiting, supervising, training, evaluating and motivating employees.
A combination of education and experience may be considered. The ability to successfully complete a background check including and not limited to criminal history and/or motor vehicle check is required.
- Minimum of 18 years old.
- High school diploma or GED required; one or more years of college preferred.
- Prior experience working with children between the ages Pre-K through 8th Grade.
- Must possess or be able to obtain certifications in CPR, First Aid and Advanced Lifesaving.
- The ability to adequately observe participant activities, enforce safety regulations and apply appropriate policies and procedures.
- Strong communication and organizational skills.
- Genuine passion for and desire to work with children.
Camp Counselor Salary
- $340-$355 weekly stipend
- Complimentary Y Membership
- $100 End of Summer Bonus
You can search for jobs in this category on this website. We update it everyday.
Reference: YMCA of the USA
Sign up for job alerts
Be the first to know about new jobs by signing up for email alerts below.