This article will provide you with a detailed and up-to-date description of the Cashier Job Description, The duties, responsibilities, qualifications, skills, and annual salary are all listed here. Are you preparing to be interviewed for a cashier position? Or are you looking to recruit and hire talented Cashiers that will provide support to your company? Everything you need to know about a cashier job description is here.
This cashier job description template provides critical duties and responsibilities for a cashier. It’s useful to post on various job sites to assist by handling a variety of tasks in order to ensure that all interactions between the organization and others are positive and productive. You can use this information as a job seeker to make a good resume and get ready for an interview.
Cashier Job Description
Receiving payments and issuing receipts, gift-wrapping packages, and keeping track of all cash and credit transactions are all cashier responsibilities. To be successful in this role, you should have previous customer service experience and a solid understanding of how cash registers work. You should also be available to work occasional evening and weekend shifts.
A Cashier cooperates with other employees to ensure customers have an efficient and enjoyable experience. They also interact directly with customers as they check out items to purchase. A Cashier cooperates with other employees to ensure customers have an efficient and enjoyable shopping experience. They also interact directly with customers as they check out items to purchase. Cashiers work under a supervisor, Retail Manager, or other team leaders.
Duties of a Cashier (Cashier Duties)
- Process sales transactions
- Calculate the cost of products or services
- Accept payments
- Calculate and return change when required by the payment method
- Maintain adequate change denominations in the cash drawer and request additional change
- Answer customer questions about products or services
- Reconcile cash drawers and sales receipts
See Also: KSL Jobs Application – Complete Guide
Cashier Job Responsibilities
- Provides a positive customer experience with fair, friendly, and courteous service.
- Registers sales on a cash register by scanning items, itemizing and totaling customers’ purchases.
- Resolves customer issues and answers questions.
- Bags purchases if needed.
- Processes return transactions.
- Itemizes and totals purchases by recording prices, departments, taxable and nontaxable items; and operating a cash register.
- Enters price changes by referring to price sheets and special sale bulletins.
- Discounts purchases by redeeming coupons.
- Collects payments by accepting cash, check, or charge payments from customers and makes change for cash customers.
- Verifies credit acceptance by reviewing and recording driver’s license number; and operating credit card authorization systems.
- Balances cash drawer by counting cash at beginning and end of work shift.
- Provides pricing information by answering questions.
- Maintains checkout operations by following policies and procedures and reporting needed changes.
- Maintains a safe and clean working environment by complying with procedures, rules, and regulations.
- Contributes to team effort by accomplishing related results as needed.
- Report issues with equipment
- Work as a team to meet store sales goals
- Handle customer complains
- Process layaways, returns and exchanges
- Maintain clean and tidy checkout area
- Assist in stocking and rotating merchandise
- Scan and bag items accurately and efficiently
- Stay up to date on merchandise promotions, advertisements and product information
- Manage transactions with customers using cash registers
- Scan goods and ensure pricing is accurate
- Collect payments whether in cash or credit
- Issue receipts, refunds, change or tickets
- Redeem stamps and coupons
- Cross-sell products and introduce new ones
- Resolve customer complaints, guide them and provide relevant information
- Greet customers when entering or leaving the store
- Maintain clean and tidy checkout areas
- Track transactions on balance sheets and report any discrepancies
- Bag, box or gift-wrap packages
- Handle merchandise returns and exchanges
Qualifications of a Cashier
- High school degree
- Basic PC knowledge
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Customer service or cashier experience.
- Ability to handle transactions accurately and responsibly.
- High level of energy with strong customer service skills.
- Basic math and computer skills.
Skills of a Cashier
- Work experience as a Retail Cashier or in a similar role in sales
- Familiarity with electronic equipment, like cash register and POS
- Good math skills
- Strong communication and time management skills
- Customer satisfaction-oriented
- Friendly and positive attitude
- Excellent customer service
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to make change
- Basic math skills
- Attention to detail
- Ability to stand, walk, lift heavy items, and work with other team members in a fast-paced environment to provide excellent service.
- Helpful, courteous approach to resolving complaints.
Salary of a Cashier
The average Cashier in the US makes $25,346. The average bonus for a Cashier is $1,000 which represents 4% of their salary, with 20% of people reporting that they receive a bonus each year. Cashiers make the most in San Francisco at $34,250, averaging total compensation 35% greater than the US average.
As a cashier you are responsible for registers sales on a cash register by scanning items, itemizing and totaling customers’ purchases. A cashier is expected to keep their knowledge of the company’s products, services, and policies up to date.
A great Cashier is attentive to detail, customer-focused, and knowledgeable about the products available in the store. They also have to maintain composure in the face of anger, frustrated, or flustered customers.
Complaint handling is an important aspect of this position. Turning a dissatisfied customer into a happy customer while adhering to company policies necessitates a blend of empathy and tact.
Finally, you’ll ensure that all transactions go smoothly and that we maximize customer satisfaction.
Sign up for job alerts
Be the first to know about new jobs by signing up for email alerts below.