In this article, we will show you the detailed and updated Job description of Director of Operations. Here you will also find the duties of a director of operations, responsibilities, qualifications, skills, and estimated annual salary.
This job description template provides critical duties and responsibilities for a director of operations. It’s ready to post on various job sites to assist you to recruit and hire talented director of operations who will help in executing strategies to optimize company and asset growth. As a job seeker, you can use this information to make a very rich resume and as well get yourself prepared for an interview.
Job Description Director of Operations
The Director of Operations is a professional who runs a company’s day-to-day operations by keeping an eye on several departments. They are in charge of telling everyone in an organization what to do and telling managers how to improve efficiency and cut costs when necessary.
A director of operations is in charge of everything that goes on in a company. They are in charge of all the systems and processes that a business uses every day. A director of operations’ main jobs are to manage the production schedule, work with vendors, and put new company rules into place. Also, they help make sure that the quality of the product stays the same. A director of operations has worked as an operations analyst and as a production manager in the past.
A director of operations will have been in the job for 10 years and have an MBA or Master’s in supply chain. One of the most important skills for a director of operations to have is the ability to solve problems and figure out what’s wrong with a system. Another skill is the ability to think analytically, since the director will always be looking at data. They must also be able to work on their own.
Director of Operations Duties
- Analyze data to look at trends and find problems
- Ensure that company policies are followed
- Optimize business workflows
- Create new company policies and processes
- Playing a leading role in compiling company budget and growth strategy.
- Executing strategies to optimize company and asset growth.
- Ensuring expertise and effectiveness across operating platforms.
- Creating strategies to challenge theft and stock losses, and implementing initiatives to reduce company costs.
- Participates in the hiring and training of departmental managers.
- Organizes and oversees the work and schedules of departmental managers.
- Conducts performance evaluations that are timely and constructive.
- Handles discipline and termination of employees as needed and in accordance with company policy.
Director of Operations Responsibilities
- Establishes quantitative and qualitative metrics, guidelines, and standards by which the companys efficiency and effectiveness can be evaluated; identifies opportunities for improvement.
- Reviews, analyzes, and evaluates business procedures.
- Implements policies and procedures that will improve day-to-day operations.
- Ensures work environments are adequate and safe.
- Oversees manufacturing, purchasing, and sales departments, ensuring each is reaching goals set by departmental and company leadership.
- Plans, directs, controls, implements, evaluates, monitors, and forecasts budgets and cost of sales in each division to achieve financial objectives.
- Communicates and explains new directives, policies, or procedures to managers; for major changes, meets with entire operations staff to explain changes, answer questions, and maintain morale.
- Improves customer service and satisfaction through policy and procedural changes.
- Leads coordination and integration of efforts among operations, engineering, technology, and customer service divisions to produce smoother workflow and more cost-effective business processes.
- Projects a positive image of the organization to employees, customers, industry, and community.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Liaising with superior to make decisions for operational activities and set strategic goals
- Planning and monitoring the day-to-day running of business to ensure smooth progress
- Supervising staff from different departments and provide constructive feedback
- Evaluate regularly the efficiency of business procedures according to organizational objectives and apply improvements
- Manage procurement processes and coordinate material and resources allocation
- Oversee customer support processes and organize them to enhance customer satisfaction
- Review financial information and adjust operational budgets to promote profitability
- Revise and/or formulate policies and promote their implementation
- Manage relationships/agreements with external partners/vendors
- Evaluate overall performance by gathering, analyzing and interpreting data and metrics
- Ensure that the company runs with legality and conformity to established regulations
- Create a sustainable supply chain
- Reduce costs in manufacturing
- Monitor employee production and satisfaction
- Set team and individual goals
- Creating financial reports.
- Managing money handling, accounting, and bank processes.
- Driving employees and leading performance reviews, to ensure an engaged and skilled workforce.
- Initiating better business practices.
- Collaborating with leadership to build an environment of collective responsibility and accountability.
- Ensuring adherence to key performance objectives to meet business and customer expectations.
Director of Operations Qualifications
- Masters degree in Business Administration required.
- Bachelor’s degree in business administration.
- 5+ years of experience managing a complex enterprise’s human resources, finances, operations, or strategies.
- Proven ability to manage budgets in a similar role.
- Proficient operational and financial acumen.
- Strong ethical leadership abilities.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong people skills.
- Outstanding organizational skills.
- Ability to make projections three years into the future.
Director of Operations Skills
- Thorough understanding of practices, theories, and policies involved in business and finance.
- Superior verbal and written communication and interpersonal skills.
- Superior managerial and diplomacy skills.
- Extremely proficient in Microsoft Office Suite or related software.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Excellent analytical, decision-making, and problem-solving skills.
Director of Operations Salary
The average Operations Director salary in Atlanta, GA is $180,179 as of October 27, 2022, but the range typically falls between $170,357 and $190,804. Salary ranges can vary widely depending on many important factors, including education, certifications, additional skills, the number of years you have spent in your profession.
A good director of operation is more than just creating an driving employees and leading performance reviews, to ensure engaged and skilled workforce. A good director of operation must have knowledge of the experience with accounting software and data entry.
He / She ensures that the assist in the evaluating of overall performance by gathering, analyzing and interpreting data and metrics.
Another important responsibility is to communicate effectively to all stakeholders including senior management and team members.
Finally, the duties of a director of operation is to provide excellent and strong collaboration with leadership to build an environment of collective responsibility and accountability.
Sign up for job alerts
Be the first to know about new jobs by signing up for email alerts below.