Department of the Air Force
Government jobs in Alabama, USA – Apply for Biological Scientist (Environmental) Jobs at Department of the Air Force – Gunter AFB, AL. See the job description, requirements, and the link to apply.
Click on “Learn more about this agency” button below for IMPORTANT additional information.
The primary purpose of this position is: As an advanced trainee Biological Scientist (Environmental) performs duties which are designed to progress the employee in the application of academic theories and principles to environmental assignments.
- Uses prescribed methods to perform specific, and limited work assignments that are normally minor phases of a broader assignment of a higher-grade professional (e.g., engineer, biologist, or physical scientist).
- Assists in coordinating projects with engineers, biological scientists, physical scientists, and community planners.
- Complies with health, safety, and environmental rules and procedures and performs work in a manner that enhances the safety of the work environment.
Conditions of Employment
- Grade Point Average – 2.95 or higher out of a possible 4.0
- Total salary varies depending on location of position
- Please read this Public Notice in its entirety prior to submitting your application for consideration.
- U.S. Citizenship is required
- Males must be registered for Selective Service, see www.sss.gov
- Total salary varies depending on location of position
- PCS expenses if authorized will be paid IAW JTR and Air Force Regulations
- Recruitment incentives may be authorized
- Position may be subject to random drug testing
- A security clearance may be required
- Disclosure of Political Appointments
- Mobility-you may be required to relocate during or after completion of your training.
- You will be required to serve a two year probationary period
- Successful completion of all training and regulatory requirements as identified in the applicable training plan
- Must meet suitability for Federal employment
1. Degree: Biological sciences, agriculture, natural resources management, chemistry, or related disciplines appropriate to the position
2. Combination of education and experience: Courses equivalent to a major, as shown in A above, plus appropriate experience or additional education.
To qualify for a GS-07: Completion of 1 full year of graduate level education, or bachelor’s degree with Superior academic Achievement as provided in the “General Policies and Instructions” for Qualifications Standards Operating Manual, or 5 academic years of pre-professional study, or 1 year specialized experience equivalent to at least GS-5.
To qualify for a GS-09: Master’s or equivalent graduate degree, or 2 full years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to such a degree, or LL.B or J.D., if related.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service Programs (i.e., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; student and social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge and skills that can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE: Applicants must have at least one (1) year of specialized experience at the next lower grade GS-05/07, or equivalent in other pay systems. Examples of specialized experience includes knowledge of the biological sciences (environmental) concepts and principles and standard practices, methods, and techniques to perform, following specific instructions, routine projects or minor phases of a larger and more complex project.
To view qualifying educational requirements and/or combination of education and specialized experience, click on the following link:http://www.opm.gov/qualifications/standards/indexes/num-ndx.asp
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES (KSAs): Your qualifications will be evaluated on the basis of your level of knowledge, skills, abilities and/or competencies in the following areas:
1. Professional knowledge of the biological sciences (environmental) concepts and principles and standard practices, methods, and techniques to perform, following specific instructions, routine projects or minor phases of a larger and more complex project.
2. Knowledge to study environmental problems requiring investigation of unsanitary or questionable conditions in assigned projects (See Environmental Program Checklist).
3. Basic knowledge of applicable Federal, State, and local laws, regulations, and other guidance to make recommendations concerning assigned restoration, compliance, conservation, pollution prevention, and/or integration principles and practices.
4. Ability to search technical reports, manufacturers’ catalogs, and other guidelines to obtain information.
5. Ability to work cooperatively as a team member in the design of environmental systems.
6. Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing, clearly, concisely, and with technical accuracy.
PART-TIME OR UNPAID EXPERIENCE: Credit will be given for appropriate unpaid and or part-time work. You must clearly identify the duties and responsibilities in each position held and the total number of hours per week.
VOLUNTEER WORK EXPERIENCE: Refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service Programs (i.e., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; student and social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge and skills that can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
IF USING EDUCATION TO QUALIFY: You MUST provide transcripts to support your educational claims. Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
You must have completed a 4 year course of study leading to a bachelor’s from an accredited institution AND must have documented Superior Academic Achievement (SAA) at the undergraduate level in one of the following:
a) Class Standing – upper third of the graduating class based on completed courses in the college, university, or major subdivision;
b) Grade Point Average – 2.95 or higher out of a possible 4.0 as recorded on your official transcript or as computed based on 4 years of education or as computed based on courses completed during the final 2 years of curriculum; OR 3.45 or higher out of a possible 4.0 based on the average of the required courses completed in your major field or the required courses in your major field completed during the final 2 years of your curriculum. If more than 10 percent of total undergraduate credit hours are non-graded, i.e. pass/fail, CLEP, CCAF, DANTES, military credit, etc, you cannot qualify based on GPA;
c) Election to membership in a national scholastic honor society (note: freshman honor society cannot be used to meet the requirements of this position). (If qualifying based on class standing or honor society membership, provide appropriate documentation).
PLEASE SUBMIT COPIES OF ALL TRANSCRIPTS TO INCLUDE TRANSFERRED HOURS – OFFICIAL COPIES ARE NOT REQUIRED AT TIME OF APPLICATION. IF SELECTED, YOU WILL BE REQUIRED TO PROVIDE OFFICIAL COPIES OF ALL TRANSCRIPTS. ***NOTE*** Degree Audits are not accepted.
FOREIGN EDUCATION: Education completed in foreign colleges or universities may be used to meet the requirements. You must show proof the education credentials have been deemed to be at least equivalent to that gained in conventional U.S. education program. It is your responsibility to provide such evidence when applying.
For Direct Hire (DHA) Positions:
This is a Direct Hire Public Notice, under this recruitment procedure applications will be accepted for each location/ installation identified in this Public Notice and selections are made for vacancies as they occur. There may or may not be actual/projected vacancies at the time you submit your application.
These positions are being filled under Direct-Hire Authority for the Department of Defense for Post-Secondary Students and Recent Graduates. The Secretary of the Air Force has delegated authority by the Office of the Secretary of Defense to directly appoint qualified post-secondary students and recent graduates directly into competitive service positions; these positions may be professional or administrative occupations and are located Air Force-Wide. Positions may be filled as permanent or term with a full-time or part-time work schedule. Pay will vary by geographic location.***
Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP): For information on how to apply as an ICTAP eligible click here. To be well-qualified and exercise selection priority for this vacancy, displaced Federal employees must be rated in the “Highly Qualified” or “Best Qualified” Category on the rating criteria for this vacancy. You must submit a copy of the agency notice, your most recent performance rating, and your most recent SF-50 noting position, grade level, and duty location.
Selective Service: Males born after 12-31-59 must be registered or exempt from Selective Service. For additional information, click here.
Direct Deposit: All federal employees are required to have direct deposit.
If you are unable to apply online, view the following link for information regarding Alternate Application. The Vacancy ID is 11290712
Department of the Air Force has implemented COVID-19 vaccination requirements set forth in Executive Order 14043. Federal employees are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 regardless of the employee’s duty location or work arrangement (e.g., telework, remote work, etc.), subject to such exceptions as required by law. Upon selection, you will be required to provide documentation proof as “fully vaccinated” prior to issuance of a firm job offer. Air Force will provide additional information regarding what information or documentation will be needed and how you can request a legally required exemption from this requirement. More information on COVID requirements may be found here.
If you have questions regarding this announcement and have hearing or speech difficulties click here.
Tax Law Impact for PCS: On 22-Dec-2017, Public Law 115-97 – the “Tax Cuts and Jobs Act of 2017” suspended qualified moving expense deductions along with the exclusion for employer reimbursements and payments of moving expenses effective 01-Jan-2018 for tax years 2018 through 2025. When you perform a Civilian Permanent Change of Station (PCS) with the government, the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) considers the majority of your entitlements to be taxable. Visit GSA Bulletin FTR 20-04 here for additional information.
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Your latest resume will be used to determine your qualifications.
Your application package (resume, supporting documents, and responses to the questionnaire) will be used to determine your eligibility, qualifications, and quality ranking for this position. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your rating or consideration for employment.
Your responses to the questionnaire may be compared to the documents you submit. The documents you submit must support your responses to the online questionnaire. If your application contradicts or does not support your questionnaire responses, you will receive a rating of “not qualified” or “insufficient information” and you will not receive further consideration for this job.
Applicants who disqualify themselves will not be evaluated further.
The following documents are required and must be provided with your application for this Public Notice. Applicants who do not submit required documentation to determine eligibility and qualifications will be eliminated from consideration. Other documents may be required based on the eligibility/eligibilities you are claiming. Click here to view the AF Civilian Employment Eligibility Guide and the required documents you must submit to substantiate the eligibilities you are claiming.
- Online Application – Questionnaire
- Resume – For qualification determinations your resume must contain hours worked per week (if part-time) and dates of employment (i.e., month/year to month/year or month/year to present). If your resume does not contain this information, your application may be marked as insufficient and you will not receive consideration for this position. If you are a current Federal employee or previous Federal employee, provide your pay plan, series and grade, i.e. GS-0301-09. Current Federal Civilian Employees should list any relevant performance related rating (given within the last three years) and/or incentive awards in your resume. Do NOT include photographs (or links to social media such as LinkedIn), inappropriate material, inappropriate content, nor personal information such as age, gender, religion, social security number, etc., on your resume.
- Transcripts/Registration/License: If qualifying on education/position requires education, you must submit copies of your transcripts and if required for the position, submit an active, current registration/license.
- Veterans: If claiming 30% Disabled Veteran or Veteran’s Preference – Submit VOW certification memo or copy of the official DD-Form 214, which must include the character of service (i.e., with an honorable or general discharge). This will be annotated in block 24 on member copy 2, 4, or 7 of the DD-Form 214. If claiming 30% Disabled Veteran, you must also submit a VA Letter or a disability determination from a branch of the Armed Forces. NOTE: All veterans claiming 10-point preference must also submit a SF-15.
ACTIVE DUTY SERVICE MEMBERS: The VOW Act requires federal agencies to treat an eligible active duty service member as a veteran, disabled veteran, and preference eligible (as applicable) when applying for civil service positions before the effective release or discharge date. Appointment of military members before the release or discharge date is permissible if the member is on terminal leave. At the time the active duty member applies for a civil position, he or she must submit a “certification” memo in lieu of a DD-Form 214, Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty. Active duty members applying for a civil service position without submitting a valid certification memo or DD-Form 214 with their application will render the member ineligible for the position. The certification memo must originate from the member’s military service branch on official letterhead and contain the following:
- Name/Rank/Grade of Service Member
- Branch of Armed Forces
- Dates of Active Service (Start and End Date(s)
- Expected Date of Discharge/Release from Active Duty
- Terminal leave start date (if applicable)
- Expected character of service/discharge and type of separation (i.e. separation or retirement)
- Must be certified within 120 days of anticipated discharge
- Signature by, or by direction of the adjutant, personnel office, unit commander, or higher headquarters commander.
Note: The VOW Act provides tentative preference. If appointed, a DD Form-214 must be submitted upon receipt.
Apply Also for similar jobs like this…
- Lead Contract Specialist Jobs at Legislative Branch – Washington, DC
- Physician (Hospitalist) Jobs at Department of Veterans Affairs – Leavenworth, KS
- Physician (Thoracic Surgery) Jobs at Department of Veterans Affairs – Kansas City, MO
- Pulmonary Critical Care Physician Jobs at Department of Veterans Affairs – Johnson City, TN
- Physician – Psychiatrist Jobs at Department of Veterans Affairs – Albany, NY
- Transportation Security Officer (TSO) Jobs at Department of Homeland Security – Missoula, MT
- Contract Specialist Jobs at Department of Justice – Washington, DC
- Information Technology Specialist (INFOSEC) Jobs at Department of Defense – Eielson AFB, AK
- SUPERVISORY FACILITY OPERATIONS SPECIALIST Jobs at Department of the Navy – Alameda, CA
- CONSTRUCTION MANAGEMENT SPECIALIST Jobs at Department of the Navy – Alameda, CA
See More: 1,000+ Government Jobs in USA – Updated Daily
How to Apply
To apply for this job please visit secure.login.gov.