Editor jobs in Virginia, USA – Apply for Copy Editor Jobs at SHRM – Alexandria, VA . See the job description, requirements, and the link to apply.
At SHRM, we are committed to making work, workers and workplaces better through insights-driven policy solutions, learning and development, thought leadership and research. We are shaping the ways employers and employees thrive together. SHRM is empowering our more than 300,000+ members, including HR professionals, business executives, and people managers, to lead as strategic business partners and effective stewards of workplace culture, business productivity, and employee engagement. The Copy Editor works to ensure the quality of text and layouts for hundreds of projects each year from multiple SHRM business units and affiliates. Work encompasses a variety of styles, purposes, tones, formats, deadlines, budget specifications and delivery methods, including print, digital, online and via e-mail, with day-to-day oversight of specific client projects. Regular products include editorial materials (for example, HR Magazine, SHRM Online news and legal articles, and e-newsletters), research materials (for example, survey reports and info graphics) and marketing and promotional materials (for example, content marketing, press releases, brochures, congressional testimony, advertisements, post cards and member e-mails).Position Requirements
- Copy edit text in assigned products for readability, accuracy, spelling, clarity, consistency, logic, grammar, punctuation, usage, good taste and fairness, ensuring that text meets quality standards guided by the SHRM Style Guide and Word List, the AP Stylebook, Webster’s New World College Dictionary and SHRM’s brand guidelines.
- Work with content creators, editors, marketers and project managers to resolve any substantive questions and ensure clarity in text, keeping in mind the communication medium (print, digital, online, e-mail). Rewrite and copy-fit text as needed. Ensure final approval of content creators, editors, project managers and Copy Desk Manager as needed.
- Proofread print layouts through multiple rounds of corrections, ensuring that changes and corrections are incorporated, text is the appropriate length, spacing is used effectively, formatting is consistent, and page elements are accurate and conform to style guidelines. May include checking final printer proofs.
- Check charts, tables and graphs, etc., in assigned products for style and accuracy (sometimes checking math) and cross-check any text (including numbers) that also appears in the main article.
- Ensure that online Editorial and content marketing products use SEO best practices, and rewrite headlines, meta descriptions and other online elements as needed. Use content management system to correct and update online text.
- Make recommendations for—and help update, publicize and enforce—the SHRM Style Guide and Word List, and create and maintain supplemental styles. Stay up-to-date on changes in style and language usage; educate and advise clients on best practices.
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, communications or related field.
- 5 years of experience copyediting and proofreading publications, including news.
- Must have a firm grasp of English language, grammar, spelling, usage, punctuation and commonly used styles. Previous use of AP Style is preferred.
- Must be able to work in a fast-paced environment under constant deadline, copyediting and proofreading accurately and quickly, in MS Word documents, in PDF, on paper and online.
- Must be able to organize work and time productively and meet the demands of competing priorities while requiring minimal supervision from the Copy Desk Manager.
- MS Word, Adobe Acrobat, MS Excel, In Copy and content management system experience.
- Preferred: Knowledge of SEO best practices and online publishing (basic html).
- Regularly required to sit; talk and hear, use hands to type, file, handle or feel. The employee is frequently required to reach with hands and arms. Occasionally required to stand; walk and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. Visual acuity to use a keyboard, prepare and analyze data and figures; transcribing, viewing a computer terminal; extensive reading.
- Light lifting is required. Exerting up to 20 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 10 pounds of force frequently, and/or a negligible amount of force to constantly move objects.
- Work is regularly performed in a professional office environment and routinely uses standard office equipment.
Our employment practices are in accordance with the laws that prohibit discrimination against qualified individuals on the basis of race, religion, color, gender, age, national origin, physical or mental disability, genetic information, veteran’s status, marital status, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, or any other status protected by applicable law.
SHRM is an equal opportunity employer (Minority/Female/Disabled/Veteran).
We do not sponsor applicants for work visas.
- Web Editorial Manager Jobs at GE Healthcare – Chicago, IL (Remote)
- Editor Jobs at Leidos – McLean, VA (On-site)
- Technical Writer/Editor Jobs at inSync Staffing – Flanders, NJ (On-site)
- Senior Associate Editor – Editorial Innovation (REMOTE) Jobs at Thomson Reuters – Eagan, MN (Remote)
- Features Editor – Freelance Jobs at Roku Inc. – Stamford, CT
- Topic Desk Editor Jobs at The Washington Post – Washington, DC (On-site)
- Writer Editor Jobs at NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory – Pasadena, CA (On-site)
- Editor Temp – to – Perm – Work From Home Jobs at PCI not the big company – Madison, WI (Remote)
- Copy Editor – Temporary Jobs at The Walt Disney Company – Washington, DC (Hybrid)
- Assistant Editor Jobs at Booz Allen Hamilton – Honolulu, HI (Hybrid)
See More: 1,000+ Editor Jobs in USA – Updated Daily
How to Apply
To apply for this job please visit us63.dayforcehcm.com.