Department of Veterans Affairs
Government jobs in New Mexico, USA – Apply for Health Technician Jobs at Department of Veterans Affairs – Artesia, NM. See the job description, requirements, and the link to apply.
The New Mexico VA Healthcare Network is recruiting for Health Technicians in the Ambulatory Care Service, Artesia, NM. The primary purpose of the Health Technician is to provide medical and administrative support assistance to the Patient Aligned Care Team, Ambulatory Care Service (ACS). The technician plans and carries out procedures, handles problems and deviations in the work assignment in line with previous training and accepted practices.
Duties include but are not limited to:
The Health Technician provides support to the PACT by performing technical and administrative tasks. Technical tasks, such as EKGs, bladder ultrasounds, ear irrigation, specimen collection of urine/blood, vital signs including oxygen saturation and abdominal girths, height and weight measurements, peak flow, orthostatic blood pressure, visual acuity, CBGs and downloading glucometers, monofilament foot exams and influenza immunizations for both the PACT team and Annual Facility Influenza Clinic which covers both employees and veterans. Duties include, but not limited to:
- Operates and maintains medical instruments and equipment for diagnostic and treatment procedures such as, EKG machines, CBG monitors, ABI dopplers, bladder scans, spirometers, vital sign monitors, etc.
- Effective communication to interview patients and families to gather appropriate/pertinent medical information/history as it relates to clinical reminders for which the Health Tech is within their scope and complexity to complete.
- Insertion techniques for drainage apparatus; proper storage of blood and body fluid specimens; performance of complex and sterile dressing procedures.
- Practical knowledge and skill in utilizing equipment to perform the following: EKG, CBG, bladder scan, monofilament foot exams and vital signs and other procedures as outlined above. Ability to operate portable oxygen and suction equipment; lifting and transfer devices.
- Practical knowledge of standard procedures for providing medical support care following VHA and Medical Center policy and procedures in a safe and effective manner so as to protect patients, team members and self from injury or exposure.
- Provides clerical and administrative support to relieve health care professionals in the Primary Care to include appointment scheduling.
- Obtains release of information forms and assists patients, visitors and others requesting information, guidance or referral for special assistance.
- Processes data requests.
- Provides support for patient education, referrals and resources appropriate to the needs/requests of the patient and or as directed by supervisor, and or clinical team.
- Provides training to new clinic staff regarding equipment or instruments used.
- Provides assistance of a technical, specialized or support nature to health care professionals in the diagnosis or treatment of patient illnesses or medical conditions.
- Supports health care professionals in tests and procedures to diagnose and treat medical conditions.
- Performs direct patient support to include gathering information from patients, providing personal patient care and patient education on home use of medical equipment such as glucometers, blood pressure monitors, peak flow meters, etc.
Work Schedule: 8:00a.m. – 4:30p.m. Monday through Friday
Position Description Title/PD#: Health Technician/PD05125A and PD12810A
Physical Requirements: The work requires frequent walking, standing, stooping, lifting, bending, stretching, pushing, turning and at times lifting heavy equipment and/or patients. Good vision and hearing are required to collect patient data.
Conditions of Employment
- You must be a U.S. citizen to apply for this job
- Subject to a background/suitability investigation
- Designated and/or random drug testing may be required
- May serve a probationary period
- Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959
- A complete application package; Resume, Transcripts, etc
- Selected applicants will be required to complete an online onboarding process
GS-06 grade level: One year of specialized experience (equivalent to the GS-05 grade level in the federal service); experience that equipped the applicant with the particular knowledge, skills and abilities (KSA’s) and other characteristics to perform successfully the duties of the position, and that is typically in or related to the work of the position to be filled, in the normal line of progression for the occupation in the organization. Specialized experience would typically include, but are not limited to: received written and verbal requests for a variety of difficult exams, entering consults, scheduling exams, entering clinical reminders, entering requests for labs and x-rays; has updated patient demographic information; has set controls, calibrated and operated equipment such as EKG machines, CBG monitors, ABI doppler, bladder scan, spirometer, and vital sign monitors; has performed a variety of routine and difficult diagnostic tests and procedures including CBG, venipuncture, orthostatic blood pressure, oxygen saturation, visual acuity, 12-lead EKG, ABI, PFT, foot exams, and the like. Administrative experience such as documenting patent information relating to pre-testing or post-procedure activities, appointment scheduling, entering lab requests in the system. OR,
- Education: Applicants may substitute education for the required experience. To qualify based on education for this grade level you must have six months of graduate level education that is directly related to the work of the position to be filled. This education must have been obtained in an accredited college or university. One year of full-time graduate education is considered to be the number of credit hours that the school attended has determined to represent (1) year of full-time study. If that information cannot be obtained from the school, 18 semester hours should be considered as satisfying the (1) year of full-time study requirement. Part-time graduate education is creditable in accordance with its relationship to a year of full-time study at the school attended. (Transcripts are required to substitute education for experience). OR,
- Combination: Applicants may also combine education and experience to qualify at this level. You must have an combination of specialized experience and education beyond six months of graduate level education.
To calculate, first identify the percentage of required education you have earned (when substituting, you cannot use the first 60 semester hours that you earned). Then identify the percentage of required experience you possess. Add the two percentages. The total percentage must equal at least 100 percent to qualify at the GS-XX. For example, an applicant who has 9 semester hours of graduate level education (i.e. 50% of graduate education required) and 6 months of creditable specialized experience (i.e. 50% of the required experience) would equal 100% of the required experience for the position A transcript must be submitted with your application if you are basing all or part of your qualifications on education.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religions; spiritual; community; student; social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
Note: Only education or degrees recognized by the U.S. Department of Education from accredited colleges, universities, schools, or institutions may be used to qualify for Federal employment. You can verify your education here: http://ope.ed.gov/accreditation/.
If you are using foreign education to meet qualification requirements, you must send a Certificate of Foreign Equivalency with your transcript in order to receive credit for that education.
COVID-19 Pandemic Expanded Telework Program – Due to COVID-19, VA is currently in an expanded telework posture. If selected, you may be expected to temporarily telework, even if your home is located outside the local commuting area. Once employees are permitted to return to the office, you will be expected to report to the duty station listed on this announcement. Management officials will provide information about returning to the official, pre-pandemic worksite, when applicable. At that time, you may be eligible to request to continue to telework depending upon the terms of your organization’s telework policy and the duties of the position.
The following will be communicated to applicants for VA employment in a testing designated position and will also be included in all VA vacancy announcements for such positions: All applicants tentatively selected for VA employment in a testing designated position are subject to urinalysis to screen for illegal drugs use prior to appointment. Applicants who refuse to be tested will be denied employment with VA.
The Interagency Career Transition Assistance Plan (ICTAP) and Career Transition Assistance Plan (CTAP) provide eligible displaced VA competitive service employees with selection priority over other candidates for competitive service vacancies. To be well-qualified, applicants must possess experience that exceeds the minimum qualifications of the position including all selective factors if applicable, and must be proficient in most of the requirements of the job. Information about ICTAP and CTAP eligibility is on OPM’s Career Transition Resources website which can be found at https://www.opm.gov/.
Receiving Service Credit for Earning Annual (Vacation) Leave: Federal Employees earn annual leave at a rate (4, 6 or 8 hours per pay period) which is based on the number of years they have served as a Federal employee. VA may offer newly-appointed Federal employee’s credit for their job-related non-federal experience or active duty uniformed military service. This credited service can be used in determining the rate at which they earn annual leave. Such credit must be requested and approved prior to the appointment date and is not guaranteed.
This job opportunity announcement may be used to fill additional vacancies.
If you are unable to apply online or need to fax a document you do not have in electronic form, view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application.
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
IN DESCRIBING YOUR EXPERIENCE, PLEASE BE CLEAR AND SPECIFIC. WE WILL NOT MAKE ASSUMPTIONS REGARDING YOUR EXPERIENCE. Applicants will be referred in the order in which they were received.
- Cover Letter
- DD-214/ Statement of Service
- Disability Letter (VA)
- SF-50/ Notification of Personnel Action
Please review the above list(s) to ensure you have included all necessary documents required for your application.Not every applicant will require the same documents, therefore it is the applicants responsibility to ensure that their application package includes all necessary documents to determine qualifications and eligibility for appointment, such as a copy of your SF-50, transcript, ICTAP/CTAP documentation (for displaced Federal employees).You will not be contacted for additional information. Applicants will be deemed ineligible if supporting documentation is not submitted.
Veterans’ Preference: Since the Direct-Hire Recruitment Authority is being used, traditional Veterans’ Preference rules do not apply. Qualified veterans will, however, be given full consideration for this position.
Applications are accepted online. Applying online will allow you to review and track the status of your application.
Apply Also for similar jobs like this…
- Health Technician (CMA) Jobs at Department of Health And Human Services – Crownpoint, NM
- Air Traffic Control Specialist (C) (Traffic Management Coordinator) Jobs at Department of Transportation – Fort Worth, TX
- Therapy Assistant Jobs at Department of Health And Human Services – Kayenta, AZ
- Civil Engineer (Highway) – Direct Hire Jobs at Department of Transportation – Asburn, VA
- Dentist (El Paso VA Employees Only) Jobs at Department of Veterans Affairs – El Paso, TX
- Clinical Nurse (OB) Jobs at Department of Health And Human Services – Pine Ridge, SD
- Pharmacy Technician (Clinical Contact Center) Jobs at Department of Veterans Affairs – Arlington, TX
- Dentist (Internal CTVAHCS) Jobs at Department of Veterans Affairs – Austin, TX
- SUPPLY TECHNICIAN Jobs at Department of the Army – Fresno, CA
- AIRCRAFT PNEUDRAULIC SYSTEMS MECHANIC Jobs at Department of the Army – Fresno, CA
See More: 1,000+ Government Jobs in USA – Updated Daily
How to Apply
To apply for this job please visit secure.login.gov.