Department of the Army
Government jobs in Nebraska, USA – Apply for Master Towboat Operator Jobs at Department of the Army – Omaha, NE. See the job description, requirements, and the link to apply.
ELEIGIBLE for RECRUITMENT OR RELOCATION INCENTIVE
This is a Direct Hire Authority (DHA) solicitation utilizing the DHA for Certain Personnel Workforce for DoD to recruit and appoint qualified candidates to positions in the competitive service.
About the Position: The Missouri River Project minutes from the district office is located in downtown Omaha and minutes from the city’s wide array of parks, museums, historic sites, restaurants, recreation and entertainment venues such as Boys Town.
- Operate towboats greater than 26 feet in length in order to load/unload and move floating plant with equipment and stone riprap up and down the Missouri River.
- Assure safety of crew members and the upkeep and maintenance of the vessels.
- During layup periods, perform duties in support of minor construction and maintenance activities at the Missouri River Project Office, individual dam sites surrounding Omaha and Lincoln, and multiple mitigation sites along the Missouri River.
- Perform repairs as needed to project equipment.
Conditions of Employment
- Appointment may be subject to a suitability or fitness determination, as determined by a completed background investigation.
- Pursuant to EO 14043, all Federal employees, regardless of duty location or work arrangement, must be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 by November 22, 2021, or before entrance on duty if after November 22, subject to exceptions as required by law.
- If selected, the agency will provide information regarding what documentation is needed and how to request any legally required exceptions from this requirement.
- Proof of vaccination will be required. To ensure compliance with this mandate, review the vaccination requirements, to include timelines for receiving required doses, at the following: https://www.saferfederalworkforce.gov/faq/vaccinations/
- Incumbent must possess a current and appropriate State Motor Vehicle Operator?s License.
- Pre-employment drug test is required. This position is part of the random drug testing program.
- Incumbent must have at a minimum, a Master of Towing Vessels (limited) license to qualify at the full performance (XH-09) level.
- Incumbent must possess or be able to obtain within 12 months of employment, license as Mate (Pilot) of Towing Vessels to qualify at XH-08 level.
This is an open-continuous announcement. Referral lists may be requested to fill vacant positions throughout the life of the announcement. Cutoff for receipt of applications will be midnight CST on the date that the referral list is requested. Applications received after the cutoff date, may be considered on future referral lists.
Who May Apply: US Citizens
In order to qualify, you must meet the experience requirements described below. Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; student; social). You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience. Your resume must clearly describe your relevant experience; if qualifying based on education, your transcripts will be required as part of your application. Additional information about transcripts is in this document.
Selective Placement Factor: This position requires, at a minimum, a Master of Towing Vessels (limited) license.
Minimum Qualifications (Screen Out Element): Ability to do the work of a(n) Master Towboat Operator~ without more than normal supervision.
Master Towboat XH-08: I have the ability to perform routine tasks such as the repair and maintenance of marine equipment. I have journeyman level experience in the full operation of floating plants, interpreting river conditions, repairing deck and engine machinery, and steering towing vessels.
Master Towboat XH-09:I have the ability to perform the full range of duties associated with making up and transporting tows of multiple barges. I am skilled in maintenance and repair and adjusting both deck and engine room machinery. I can maintain the full operation of floating plants, performing tasks such as interpreting river conditions, applying navigational aids, and steering towing vessels. I work on my own initiative under general supervision subject to occasional inspection.
- Ability To Do The Work Of The Position Without More Than Normal Supervision
- PHYSICAL EFFORT: Light to moderate effort is required in steering the boat and handling fenders, mooring lines, and cargo. Moderate effort is expended for maintenance work but occasionally heavy effort is required to handle anchors. Coordination of hands, eyes, body and legs is needed to work safely on wet and moving decks. Lifts and handles heavy equipment weighting 30-40 pound attachments and materials.
- WORKING CONDITIONS: Most work is performed from a sheltered pilot house. Some piloting after dark may be required. Regularly assigned to duty in the Missouri River in an area having approximately 240 miles of navigable waters, but occasionally navigates over other stretches of river in other River Areas. Exposed to sun, wind, spray, rain and sleet when mooring, unmooring, anchoring or weighing anchor or coming alongside to contact other vessels. Exposed to possible falls on deck and the possibility of falling overboard. A personal floatation device is worn at all times while on deck. While driving vehicles, incumbent is exposed to the possibility of serious accidents. Subject to cuts, bruises, broken bones and strained back as a result of accidents while driving or when loading and unloading vehicles, and while performing maintenance duties.
This job does not have an education qualification requirement.
- Male applicants born after December 31, 1959, must complete a Pre-Employment Certification Statement for Selective Service Registration.
- You will be required to provide proof of U.S. Citizenship.
- Two year trial/probationary period may be required.
- Direct Deposit of Pay is required.
- Selection is subject to restrictions resulting from Department of Defense referral system for displaced employees.
- If you have retired from federal service and you are interested in employment as a reemployed annuitant, see the information in the Reemployed Annuitant information sheet.
- This is a Career Program (CP) 24 – Transportation and Distribution Management position.
- Multiple positions may be filled from this announcement.
- Salary includes applicable locality pay or Local Market Supplement.
- When you perform a Civilian Permanent Change of Station (PCS) with the government, the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) considers the majority of your entitlements to be taxable. Visit https://www.dfas.mil/civilianemployees/civrelo/Civilian-Moving-Expenses-Tax-Deduction.htm for more information.
- If you are unable to apply online or need to fax a document you do not have in electronic form, view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application.
- Permanent Change of Station (PCS) allowances may be authorized, subject to the provisions of the Joint Travel Regulations and an agency determination that a PCS move is in the Government Interest.
- The Defense National Relocation Program (DNRP) is not authorized.
- Further certification from this announcement may take place up to 90 days beyond the closing of this announcement
- Recruitment or relocation incentives may be authorized for up to 25 percent of an employee’s annual rate of basic pay at the start of the service period. This calculation, which includes locality or special rate pay, is multiplied by the number of years (including fractions of a year) in the service period, not to exceed four (4) years. A minimum Service agreement will be required if recruitment or relocation incentive are accepted by incumbent.
- Other incentives such as: student load repayment, advanced in-hire, and/or advanced leave accrual may be authorized if management determines it is in the best interest of the government.
- Further certification from this announcement may take place up to 90 days beyond the certificate issued date of this announcement.
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Once the announcement has closed, a review of your application package (resume, supporting documents, and responses to the questionnaire) will be used to determine whether you meet the qualification requirements listed on this announcement.
If, after reviewing your résumé and/or supporting documentation, a determination is made that you have inflated your qualifications and/or experience, you may lose consideration for this position. Please follow all instructions carefully when applying, errors or omissions may affect your eligibility.
You should list any relevant performance appraisals and incentive awards in your resume as that information may be taken into consideration during the selection process. If selected, you may be required to provide supporting documentation.
Veterans and Military Spouses will be considered along with all other candidates.
The documents you are required to submit vary based on whether or not you are eligible for preference in federal employment. A complete description of preference categories and the associated required documents is in the Applicant Checklist (External).
As described above, your complete application includes your resume, your responses to the online questionnaire, and documents which prove your eligibility to apply. If you fail to provide these documents, you will be marked as having an incomplete application package and you will not be considered any further.
1. Your resume:
- Your resume may be submitted in any format and must support the specialized experience described in this announcement.
- If your resume includes a photograph or other inappropriate material or content, it will not be used to make eligibility and qualification determinations and you may not be considered for this vacancy.
- For qualifications determinations your resume must contain hours worked per week and the dates of employment (i.e., HRS per week and month/year to month/year or month/year to present). If your resume does not contain this information, your application may be marked as incomplete and you may not receive consideration for this position.
- For additional information see: What to include in your resume.
2. Other supporting documents:
- Cover Letter, optional
- Most recent Performance Appraisal, if applicable
- This position requires a job-related license or certification. You MUST submit a copy of your license or certification with your application package or you will be rated ineligible. See: Transcripts and Licenses
NOTE: Documents submitted as part of the application package, to include supplemental documents, may be shared beyond the Human Resources Office. Some supplemental documents such as military orders and marriage certificates may contain personal information for someone other than you. You may sanitize these documents to remove another person’s personal information before you submit your application. You may be asked to provide an un-sanitized version of the documents if you are selected to confirm your eligibility.
Apply Also for similar jobs like this…
- Physician Jobs at Department of Veterans Affairs – Madison, WI
- FINANCIAL MANAGEMENT TECHNICIAN Jobs at Department of the Air Force – Hickam AFB, HI
- SURFACE MAINTENANCE MECHANIC – TITLE 32 Jobs at Department of the Army – Washington, GA
- TRAINING INSTRUCTOR (BRIDGE) Jobs at Department of the Navy – Bremerton, WA
- Procurement Analyst ROSTER Jobs at Department of the Treasury – Washington, DC
- Physician – Diagnostic Radiologist Jobs at Department of Veterans Affairs – Rome, NY
- Registered Nurse – OCA (Sheridan, WY VAHCS Employees Only) Jobs at Department of Veterans Affairs – Afton, WY
- PURCHASING AGENT Jobs at Department of the Navy – Keyport, WA
- Explosives Handler Jobs at Department of the Army – Crane, IN
- Biological Scientist (Environmental) Jobs at Department of the Air Force – Gunter AFB, AL
See More: 1,000+ Government Jobs in USA – Updated Daily
How to Apply
To apply for this job please visit secure.login.gov.