In this post, we discuss the Medical Assistant Job Description. Here you will see the duties of a medical assistant, responsibilities, qualifications, and skills. This information is very useful for both employers and job seekers.
Medical Assistant Job Description
Here is the certified medical assistant job description. Medical Assistant is a talented health care professional who works as a part of our nationally recognized team to provide the highest quality care to our patients. The VSI Medical Assistant directly assists the physicians and physician assistants while keeping patient satisfaction a top priority.
The Medical Assistant (MA) assists the Research Coordinators (CRC) and Site Manager/Directors, as delegated by the Principal Investigator, in executing daily clinical research activities according to the organization’s SOPs, GCP and FDA/ICH guidelines. The RA performs clinical tasks such as phlebotomy, ECG, and vital signs; along with administrative tasks such as answering the phone, filing, appointment reminders and shipping.
Provides nursing assistance and patient care to provide for the comfort, safety and personal needs of patients. Assists physicians/physician assistants/nurse practitioners in medical office setting. Performs a variety of patient care duties within the construct of a multidisciplinary patient care team as delegated by physician. Specific duties and responsibilities assigned to the individual will be determined by the supervising physician(s), clinical staff and Practice Coordinator after competency is established.
What does a medical assistant do?
The Medical Assistant will work within a sexual and reproductive health services team to support the provision of clinical services by providing the following
· Performs routine lab functions and testing including phlebotomy, urine pregnancy testing, HIV and Hepatitis testing and prepare specimens for transport
· Room patients and obtain and record client’s personal medical history including gynecological, obstetrical and sexual history
· Accurately enter data into the electronic health record system
· Provide clients with non-judgmental and accurate information regarding reproductive health issues, contraception, sexually transmitted infections, HIV, Hepatitis, pregnancy and pregnancy prevention.
· Lead morning clinic huddle
· Prepare and maintain exam rooms and maintain laboratory controls
· Other duties as assigned by the Site Manager.
Medical assistant skills and duties
- The ideal candidate must possess superior customer service skills and enjoy being a part of a dynamic team; must be able to prioritize, multi-task and work at a fast-pace, all with a smile and a cheerful disposition. Words to best describe successful individuals in this role: strong work ethic, caring, empathetic, cooperative, supportive, service oriented (“How can I help you?”), clear communicator, detail oriented.
- College degree is preferred.
- Training is provided.
Medical assistant duties and responsibilities
Primary Responsibilities Include
- Performs functions as the first contact person for the CYACC team. Performs intake of new patients, incoming phone calls, emails and faxes, scheduling of new and return patients, and administrating outgoing communications, including mail, fax and email.
- Maintaining exam rooms according to protocols: cleans rooms between patient exams to comply with infection control standards; ensures rooms are stocked with necessary supplies. Greets and registers patients and directs to appropriate medical exam room. Obtains medical history, height, weight and vital signs; accurately documents medical and social history, vital signs, height, weight and treatments in the electronic medical record. Assists physician or nurse upon request during patient examinations, including basic scribing functions. Completes ordered treatments, including phlebotomy, 12 lead EKG , ear lavage, applying basic dressings and bandages, performs rapid tests, prepares specimens for transport to laboratories, and makes referral appointments as directed. Accesses databases to obtain necessary patient information such as EPIC , Cerner, Careweb, Medicaid, CHIRP , and HCBS waiver portals. Practices universal precautions with respect to established safety protocols. Protects and maintains patient confidentiality and rights.
- Administrate research consents of patients, including obtaining consent, creating appropriate documentation and research database entries.
- Administrate roster of patients for weekly team meetings and completion of weekly team tasks, eg. completion of disability and guardianship forms.
- Performs additional duties as assigned by team leaders and attend mandatory training programs.
Essential Job Responsibilities:
- Assist physicians and physician assistants with preparing patients for examinations and procedures.
- Escort patients to exam rooms, obtain and document patient history and chief complaint, and prepare them for office visit.
- Prepare all medication prescriptions, physical therapy orders, diagnostic testing orders, and others in accordance with physician’s direction.
- Provide patient education with regards to office policies, medications, management of disease, home treatments and special diets using appropriate medical terminology as directed by the physician.
- Respond to patient phone calls and assist with their needs.
- Calling prescriptions in to the pharmacy for the physician.
- Obtain any necessary insurance authorizations for patient’s treatment.
- Exhibit appropriate and professional legal and ethical conduct.
- Maintain supplies, equipment, stocking, and sterilizing instruments ensuring work cores and patient rooms are presentable.
- Practicing OSHA safety standards.
- Acquire data from patients for studies in which they may be enrolled
- Other duties as assigned
Medical assistant requirements
Qualifications Minimum Requirements:
- Must be at least 16 years of age (21 for driving positions).
- Must be able to legally work in the United States.
- Must be able to pass a background check.
- Must be able to pass a drug screen and breath alcohol test (if applicable).
- Must complete employee health meeting.
- High School Diploma or equivalent preferred.
- Successful completion of an accredited Medical Assistant Course.
- Must be Registered orCertified.
- Current BLS certification (must be obtained within 90 days of hire).