In this post, you will see information about paraeducator job description, responsibilities, and qualifications. This information is useful to both employers and job seekers.
Paraeducator Job Description
The job of paraeducator is done for the purpose of providing support to the instructional program within an assigned classroom with specific responsibility for working with individual and/or small groups of students; monitoring students in the classroom, playground, lunchroom, crossing streets, during loading/unloading buses, etc. and providing clerical support to teachers and staff.
Paraeducator will primarily assist by performing a variety of behavior and social skill support duties to an individual or small groups of students within the after-school program. These duties shall be designed to complement the after-school program to maximize learning opportunities for the inclusion student. The Paraeducator will also assist in the establishment and implementation of appropriate school-wide behavior and assist students to access all aspects of the educational environment of the school and the community.
Paraeducator Job Responsibilities may include, but are not limited to:
This list is meant to be representative, not exhaustive. Some incumbents may not perform all the duties listed while in other cases related duties may also be assigned.
- Adapts classroom activities, assignments and/or materials under the direction of the supervising teacher for the purpose of supporting and reinforcing classroom objectives.
- Administers classroom assignments, tests, homework assignments, make-up work for the purpose of supporting teachers in the instructional process.
- Assists students, individually or in small groups, with lesson assignments (e.g. read stories, listen to students read, provide writing assistance, reinforce lessons, facilitate activities, computer learning programs, etc.) for the purpose of practicing and/or reinforcing learning concepts, and assisting student in reaching academic goals and grade level standards.
- Communicate with teachers and/or parents for the purpose of assisting in evaluating progress and/or implementing IEP objectives.
- Implements, under the supervision of the assigned teacher, instructional programs and lesson plans for the purpose of presenting and/or reinforcing learning concepts.
- Work with students in small groups or in one-to-one assignments to reinforce or follow up learning activities in core academic, language, and/or specialized subject areas.
- Assist in the implementation of behavior intervention plans which may involve the use of approved positive reinforcement strategies, behavior modification, other skills or knowledge to establish and maintain appropriate behaviors.
- Facilitate and support social interactions and foster the development of positive relationships between students with disabilities and their non-disabled peers.
- Assist all students by modeling appropriate behavior and attitudes and providing emotional support and general guidance.
- Support students to be active participants on field trips and school assemblies or productions.
- Provide Education Specialist with information on student progress through observation, daily contact, and maintenance of accurate data trackers, student progress records/logs.
- Assist in establishing and maintaining a clean, safe, and cooperative classroom and learning environment.
- Maintain confidentiality of student records and classroom information in accordance with legal requirements and Bay Tech policies.
- Maintain professional standards and competence through participation in professional growth opportunities provided by Bay Tech and in self‐directed professional growth activities.
- Paraeducators who have curiosity, energy, intellectual humility, a strong work ethic, and an ability to build relationships with young people. A diverse pool of applicants is encouraged to apply. Spanish speakers are particularly welcome.
- To impart knowledge and learning skills to the children in his/her assigned class in a manner that meets professional standards while participating in the community of learners that is Thomas MacLaren School.
- Maintains discipline and good order in the classroom, in cooperation with the SPED coordinator.
- Provides frequent and effective feedback concerning attainment of learning goals to parents and team members.
Perform other duties as assigned.
Paraeducator Qualifications and Desired Characteristics:
- Completed at least two years of study at an institution of higher education – defined as completion of 48 semester hours (or equivalent trimester hours) of college coursework; or
- Obtained an associate (or higher) degree; or
- Pass the CBEST or a local assessment of knowledge and skills in assisting in instruction.
- A deep passion for social justice and equity for all children; believes that all students can achieve at the highest levels, regardless of demography.
- Experience working with a diverse staff and students.
- Excellent organizational, planning, and implementation skills.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Results-oriented team player who is dedicated to getting the job done.
Sign up for job alerts
Be the first to know about new jobs by signing up for email alerts below.