In this article, we will show you the detailed and updated Staff Accountant job description. Here you will also find the duties of a Staff Accountant, responsibilities, qualifications, skills, and estimated annual salary.
This Staff Accountant job description template provides critical duties and responsibilities for the Staff Accountant. It’s ready to post on various job sites to assist you to recruit and hire talented persons who will manage a company’s accounting procedures and keep its financial profile in good shape. As a job seeker, you can use this information to make a very rich resume and as well get yourself prepared for an interview.
Staff Accountant Job Description
Staff accountants are professionals who keep a general ledger and review financial statements for accuracy before preparing reports to help senior management make informed decisions about upcoming projects or budgets for the coming year. They are also in charge of keeping track of and recording all company transactions.
They work in a company’s accounting department and perform a variety of tasks such as maintaining the general ledger, reviewing financial statements, preparing financial reports, assisting with audits and budgeting processes, and reconciling accounts.
A Staff Accountant is in charge of maintaining financial procedures and ensuring financial compliance by preparing reports and statements for a company. Typically, they will report to the senior accountant or the chief financial officer. Staff Accountant Job Description
Duties of a Staff Accountant (staff accountant Job Duties)
- Keeping track of financial reports, records, and accounts
- Billing procedures are carried out (e.g. tax, revenue)
- Keeping track of the general ledger
- Tax returns must be prepared and filed.
- Fill out business logs with accounting-related information.
- Examine accounting books for efficiency and accuracy.
- Organize and keep financial records up to date.
- Make suggestions for ways to cut costs and increase revenue.
- Carry out monthly bank settlements
- Prepare paperwork for external auditors.
- Examine financial statements for accuracy and legality.
Staff Accountant Job Responsibilities
- Examine financial statements, expenses, and previous tax returns to determine the best organizational and monitoring strategy.
- Management should be given quarterly and annual financial reports.
- General bookkeeping and the organization of financial forms, documents, and receipts
- Ensure that all financial transactions within the company are recorded and that all legal requirements are met.
- Analyze annual budget recording transactions that require additional documentation.
- Make personal and business invoices and ask for payment for services rendered.
- Collect necessary materials such as yearly tax tables, instructions, and forms to accurately calculate taxes for clients.
- Collaborate with clients and businesses to obtain personal information about potential tax breaks, educational grants, or allowances.
- Keep accounting records and files up to date.
Budget analysis and expense reporting
- Examine tax policies and procedures, as well as tax payments and returns.
- Meet with clients to discuss sensitive accounting matters.
- In the general ledger, post transactions and categorize records (e.g. by assets, liabilities and expenses)
- Bank statements must be reconciled.
- Examine transactions involving internal and external stakeholders.
- Close out the month and the year.
- Prepare audit documents
- Provide financial advice to clients via email or phone.
- Implement new accounting policies while adhering to rules and regulations.
- Work with the Accounting Manager to improve financial processes.
- Keeping financial records, reports, and general ledger accounts up to date.
- Assisting with monthly close processes and preparing journal entries, analyses, and account reconciliations.
- Contributing to the creation and evaluation of annual operating budgets and performance projections.
- Keeping records for accounts payable, purchasing, and treasury, as well as conducting internal audits
- Monthly balance sheet reconciliations are carried out.
- Meeting deadlines for processing and reporting.
- Responding to information requests, reviewing financial statements, and assisting with audits are all responsibilities.
- Ensuring GAAP compliance.
- As needed, assist the accounting manager.
Qualifications for Staff Accountant (staff accountant job qualifications)
- Similar experience as a Staff Accountant or a relevant accounting role
- Excellent command of Microsoft Office Word and Excel; excels at spreadsheets.
- An understanding of an accounting information system is advantageous.
- Excellent math skills
- Paying close attention to detail
- Excellent organizational and communication abilities
- Integrity and confidentiality
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA) certification is strongly preferred.
- Professional experience working with sensitive and confidential information
- Knowledge of state and federal tax form processes, as well as how to properly prepare forms for each
- Extensive experience consulting tax manuals or other printed materials to determine the proper procedure for preparing difficult returns.
- Experience troubleshooting common accounting program problems and proficiency with various accounting software
- Working with personal and sensitive financial information requires personal integrity.
- Experience with financial forecasting and risk analysis
- MSc in Accounting is preferred.
Staff Accountant Job Skills
- Staff accountants must have excellent time management skills.
- Analytical abilities,
- Pay close attention to detail,
- Excellent communication skills
- Strong technological skills, particularly proficiency with Microsoft Excel, are required.
Good math skills
Confidentiality and integrity
Staff Accountant Salary
Based on 1,448 salaries, an entry-level Staff Accountant with less than one year of experience can expect to earn an average total compensation (tips, bonus, and overtime pay) of $49,552. Based on 10,708 salaries, an early career Staff Accountant with 1-4 years of experience earns an average total compensation of $52,565 per year. Based on 3,804 salaries, a mid-career Staff Accountant with 5-9 years of experience earns an average total compensation of $55,852. Based on 1,979 salaries, an experienced Staff Accountant with 10-19 years of experience earns an average total compensation of $56,847. Employees in their late career (20 years and up) earn an average total compensation of $56,649.
In summary, Staff accountants are in charge of preparing and reviewing financial documents, reports, and statements. They also oversee all accounting procedures while advising on general finance matters. As needed, such knowledge can be applied across the company, such as in budgeting or cash flow management techniques.
They are entry-level or mid-level accounting professional who is in charge of keeping financial records at a company, usually as part of a team. Their responsibilities include ensuring IRS compliance, reconciling bank statements, and balancing the ledger for regular reports.
Sign up for job alerts
Be the first to know about new jobs by signing up for email alerts below.